Essential oils are the best known for their aromatherapeutic properties that improve the condition body and mind to live a safe and healthy life. Citronella oil is such an essential oil that has numerous health benefits. It is most popularly used as an insect repellent, as an ingredient in flavoring food and formulation of various personal care products such as deodorant and body spray etc. Citronella is a grass that belongs to Cymbopogon genus plant and a species of lemongrass. It is mainly grown in Asian countries and in some pacific islands. Citronella oil is extracted through steam distillation process by utilizing fresh or dried leaves and stem of the citronella plant. Find here the multiple uses and health benefits of this most commonly used essential oil.
What are the Properties of Citronella oil?
Citronella oil is a pale to brown yellow colored oil, bearing a sweet and fresh lemony fragrance. The main constituents of this oil are geraniol, citronellol, citronellal, limonene, and methyl isoeugenol etc. It possesses excellent therapeutic properties such as antiseptic, insecticide, antibacterial, deodorant, diaphoretic, anti-inflammatory, antidepressant and stimulant due to which it has become one of the most-sought oil for personal care and home care needs.
What are the Main Uses of Citronella oil?
Citronella oil can be used in following different ways:
- Citronella oil is most commonly used as an insect repellant. Although, there are many other insect deterrents available in the market but those contain toxic chemicals which can result in several problems like a headache, fatigue or shortness of breath. Dilute 10 drops of this oil in 100ml of water and put the solution in a misting bottle to make your homemade insect repellent.
- It can also use to make ointments that cure insect bites. Its antiseptic and inflammatory properties are widely appreciated for treating minor bites and stings caused by bees and other poisonous insects.
- Owing to its fresh lemony fragrance and antiseptic properties, it is widely demanded as one of the vital ingredients of food flavorings, candles, personal care cosmetics, perfumes, deodorants, and skin lotions.
- Citronella oil is also appreciated for its use in the processing of household cleaners, soaps, and detergents owing to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
How Citronella oil is Beneficial for Health?
Apart from its wide use in household and personal care, it is also appreciated due to its multitude of benefits that are given as under:
- Relief from Inflammation and Pain: Citronella essential oil effectively works on inflammation associated with stomach, intestines, liver and other parts of the digestive system.
- Diuretic and Detoxifier: Citronella oil works best as a diuretic and detoxifying agent as it flushes out harmful toxins from our body such as uric acids, excess bile, salts, fats, as well as excessive water.
- Relief from Depression and Anxiety: Citronella oil provides relief from annoyance, depression, stress, and anxiety. You can use it as a room freshener or take a massage from it or inhale it in a little amount. It will work miraculously to induce a fresh and happy feeling. It also works in the cases of a migraine and nervous afflictions.
- Stimulates Blood Circulation and Secretion of Hormones: Citronella oil has a strong stimulating effect on blood circulation, secretions, and discharges of hormones and enzymes from the glands. It also stimulates brain for increasing activity in the nervous system, immune system, and body metabolism.
- Other Benefits: Apart from above-mentioned health benefits, it can be used in the treatment of problems like oily skin, oily hair, colitis, fatigue, headache, nausea, and abdominal pain.
Steps to Use Citronella Oil:
- Keep your nose 3-4 cm away from the bottle and Inhale directly.
- Add 5-6 drops in humidifier or aroma diffuser to inhale its mystical aroma.
- Make a 2% dilution with a carrier oil for aromatherapy.
- Dilute 10 drops in 100 mL of water to make natural insect repellent.
Above mentioned uses and benefits show that Citronella oil is an amazing essential oil that can be undoubtedly become the best product for you and your family. So if you are a regular user of essential oils or planning to try some essential oil for any of the above-mentioned uses, do try this oil and let us know through your valuable comments, how it was helpful to you.
Abhinav Kumar Singh is a renowned aromatherapist and essential oil educator with 8 years of professional expertise. His passion is to help others by sharing crucial information about aromatherapy, information, usage and tips from essential oils and allied natural extracts. He has been advocating about the benefits of natural essential oils through writing and speeches to reach out thousands of persons through his blogs, articles, and speeches. Find more of his works at Allin Exporters. Apart from this, he loves traveling to the new places and spending time in his backyard.