Most of us associate honey with the kitchen. For the longest time, this sticky sweet substance has been known to contribute to a healthier lifestyle. But, did you know it has hair conditioning properties? When it comes to using it for our hair and skin, you’d probably raise an eyebrow. We’ll find out more about this amazing ingredient and find out if it can be used for our hair, and how good it is.
First, we’ll determine what is considered good for the hair. A product ought to be safe for both your hair and body and maintain your hair’s health while not breaking the bank. Does honey meet this criterion?
- Does it guarantee your hair’s safety? If one can eat it, then it can be applied to the body. Honey has minerals, the vitamin is a humectant (retains moisture), is antibacterial and has numerous healing properties. In the past, honey has had so many uses, and hair was one of them. It has stood the test of time and has been proven to be safe.
- Does it guarantee the safety of your body? The strange chemicals used in the cosmic and medicinal world is overwhelming. As a result, there are so many diseases popping up, and their cause is still unknown. For instance, diseased caused by hormonal imbalance such as fibroid tumors are attributed to these chemicals. The skin, being the largest organ of your body, absorbs any substance applied on it. This is why one needs to be extremely careful of what they apply on their scalp because it is bound to be absorbed remember? With honey, you are safe. It not only boosts the immunity but also treats a number of health conditions. A more reason as to why it has stood the test of time!
- Does honey maintain the health if your hair? You bet. Honey has so many characteristics that leave your hair nourished. It is like hair food! Read on and you’ll find two recipes that are meant to leave your air nourished and looking fabulous.
- Do you need to break the bank? Honey is extremely economical. One needs a very small amount (possibly a teaspoon!) for each application. A jar can keep you going for months and you’ll enjoy the benefits that come with making your own shampoo and conditioner. How good would it feel knowing you are doing the best for your hair while saving a coin at the same time!
So, you have it right there-Honey is fabulous!!
Now onto the fun bit. We are sharing our all-time favorite honey mask recipes. They are our top five. Be sure to check out our hydrating conditioner recipe!
1. Egg + Honey Mask
2 raw eggs
1 cup honey
- Thoroughly beat the eggs then add the honey
- Mix the two ingredients to achieve a smooth consistency
- Starting with the roots, carefully apply the mixture on your hair all through to the tips
- Sit in the drier or cover your hair with a shower cap for 20 minutes
- Rinse out the mask and shampoo your hair using your preferred shampoo
Repeat this procedure every once a week
Why will this work?
Eggs are known to be a proteins power pack. They provide the nutrient that your hair needs to grow by nourishing your follicles and leaving your hair lustrous.
2. Avocado + Honey Mask
Half a cup of honey
- Blend the honey and avocado together to get a smooth consistency
- Coat your hair strands with this mixture evenly
- Leave the mixture to sit for up to 20 minutes.
- Rinse off and shampoo using your preferred
- A final rinse using honey solution leaves your hair looking lustrous and bouncy.
Repeat this procedure every once a week for maximum results
Why will this work?
Avocado is an antioxidants pack that nourishes the scalp and prevents hair damage. It’s natural oils condition and nourishes your hair.
3. Coconut oil Honey Hair Mask
Half a cup honey
Half a cup coconut oil
- Mix half a cup of honey with half a cup of coconut oil. These quantities are ideal for shoulder length hair.
- For longer or shorter hair, adjust the portions accordingly
- Thoroughly massage the mixture into your hair and let it sit in for 15 minutes
- Rinse out the mixture then shampoo your hair.
4. Water + Honey Hair Mask
One tbsp honey
Nine tbsp water
- Mix the water with honey in a bowl to obtain a uniform consistency
- Gently massage the mixture into your hair to have it fully coated from the roots to the tips.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and let the mask seat for 3 hours
- Rinse out the mask using lukewarm water then shampoo using your preferred
5. The Hydrating Honey Conditioner
1 tablespoon of buttermilk/yogurt
2 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoon of coconut/olive oil
- Warm 1 tbsp of olive oil in the microwave
- Add the honey and buttermilk as you stir to obtain a uniform consistency
- Spritz some water into your hair to dampen it. The conditioner can also be applied to freshly washed hair.
- Using an applicator bottle, apply the mixture into your hair, starting with the roots, all the way to the tips.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap for 20 minutes to allow the hair to absorb all the healthy nutrients
- For longer or thicker hair, adjust the portions accordingly. Ensure all your hair is coated.
- Thoroughly rinse out the conditioner using warm water.
Apply this mask every two weeks for maximum results.
This therapeutic mixture will leave your scalp feeling so relaxed and your hair nourished.
- Raw honey is the best. Avoid the ultra-pasteurized clear product that is old in many stores as it does not have many of the benefits found in raw honey.
- If making up a separate honey treatment is a tedious task for you, add a little of it to your regular conditioner or shampoo.
- Minimize the use of heat on your hair, especially when styling! natural is beautiful too.
- Overusing treatments every day does not make them do a better job. Twice a week should be the maximum number of times you apply them.
- Patience pays! Don’t expect to apply honey to dry and damaged hair and get the results immediately you rinse it out. It takes consistency and patience.
About the Author
Candice Hall is the Marketing Manager of Dynasty Goddess Hair, with a factory in Thailand & Office and Shipping Center in West Palm Beach, Florida, they are one of the top retailers in Virgin Remy Hair Extensions in the USA.