Endoscopes play a crucial role in diagnosing and investigating the various causes of numerous health issues in patients.
With the help of an endoscope, doctors are able to identify obstructions, investigate the digestive system, cauterize wounds, and perform biopsies. Endoscopes are complex systems that are designed to offer a vital role in medical care.
By understanding what an endoscope is and what are its main components, it is possible to know how it functions and how you can operate it.
What is an Endoscope?
Endoscopes are medical equipment used in endoscopy, which is a medical process performed to diagnose the internal health condition of a patient. Unlike scans or x-rays, endoscopy delivers a clearer view of the internal health condition of a patient.
There are different types of endoscopes available each one of them is used to perform an endoscopy of a specific body part.
What are the Main Components of an Endoscope?
An endoscope comprises numerous primary components. But depending on the type of endoscopy and the endoscopy process, the specifics may vary a little bit.
A standard endoscope comprises of various parts, such as:
- A rigid or flexible tube
- A system to emit light to improve the visibility of the area being diagnosed. This source of light is based on the external body of the endoscope and is focused through optical fibers.
- It comprises a lens to emit the image of the internal system of the patient. The image is emitted to the viewer or operator. The lens is either a rigid lens or a multi-fiber optic lens.
- An eyepiece, which is used to view and capture the images from the internal area of the patient and are sent to screen for a clearer view.
- An additional channel that accommodates the manipulators of the medical instrument for surgical processes.
The Additional Components of a Flexible Endoscope
A flexible endoscope incorporates numerous external components other than the above-mentioned ones. Some of the external components of a flexible endoscope are:
- A universal cord or an umbilical cable that connects the light path plug to the part that controls head.
- An insertion tube, which is placed within the body of the patient. It becomes highly contaminated throughout the process. Its distal end is used to house the video scope microchips and openings for the water or air functions. It is also used for the suction.
- It contains a bending section that is adjacent to the distal end.
What Are Some Prominent Uses of an Endoscope?
Primarily, endoscopes are used for exploratory processes, but they are also crucial to perform certain small surgical procedures. These units have a flexible and fine design that enable endoscopes to reach various areas that otherwise need invasive surgery.
Using an endoscope, it is possible to perform treatment without involving much cost, time, physical trauma, and standard operations.
Surgical endoscopes are maneuver using knobs or cables and are useful to perform biopsies with small forceps linked to the tips. They are connected with a tube on the main cable that enables the doctor to remove blockages or fluids, using a simple sucking motion.
Some types of endoscopes also transmit precise laser beams that are useful to eliminate dead tissues, heal wounds, and create incisions with high accuracy.
While the basic functionality of an endoscope remains the same, its design and technology continue to evolve. Continuous efforts are made to make endoscope more technologically advanced and streamlined. For examples, there are endoscopes available with a micro-camera, which the patients can swallow to capture images of a patient’s internal system.
However, the primary components of an endoscope remain the same. If you wish to purchase high-quality endoscopes from big brands at competitive prices then visit us soon.
About The Author:
Dr. David Taylor, MD, Ph.D., a registered medical professional, is the founder and owner of BestRatedDocs.com. He holds an M.D. from Drexel University & a Ph.D. from Indiana University School of Medicine. Dr. David loves to utilize technology to improve healthcare and he does it daily through BestRatedDocs.com. He founded the company in 2016 with the vision to make the discoverability of the best healthcare facilities & best products simple and easy.