Bruxism is a term you may not be familiar with, or at least, not many people for sure. Its behavior, however, is what understood by many of us.
In simple terms, the grinding, clenching, gritting or gnashing of the teeth is called Bruxism in medical terms. Many people do this but won’t either accept or recognize.
It’s quite common among people and it’s mostly done in the sleep and then, it’s known as sleep bruxism. This problem is universal and in fact, it can strike to people of all age group.
Causes of Bruxism
What causes Bruxism is something that is yet to be fully decoded by the dentist or doctors alike. However, there is absolutely no doubt among them that it’s caused by a combination of physical or psychological factors.
Here are causes of Bruxism
- It can be caused among people facing wide-ranging emotions such as stress, anxiety, tension or anger
- Malocclusion or an abnormal alignment of lower and upper teeth can cause this
- Sleep problems can cause this, including sleep apnea
- Lifestyle factors such as drinking and smoking excessively can also cause this
- It can occur due to side effects of certain types of medication or drugs to affect the mood
- Bruxism is also experienced in those facing stomach acid reflux into the esophagus
- People with a focusing habit or those with coping strategy can face this
So, go and fix a meeting now with top dentist Franklin Square and know about Bruxism and its treatment.