Having quality drinking water is an investment in your health and well-being. Consuming contaminated water will expose you to diseases such as diarrhea, cholera, typhoid fever, and dysentery, among others.
In fact, according to the World Health Organization, diarrhea is the second leading cause of death among children below the age of five, and that there are roughly 1.7 billion cases of diarrheal disease in children every year.
As diarrhea is the central symptom of water-borne diseases, this makes it even more important to improve the quality of your drinking water.
Along with this, prioritizing your family’s health has become all the more crucial in light of the current coronavirus pandemic.
You don’t want your loved ones, especially your kids, to be vulnerable to infections and complications, whether due to diarrhea or COVID-19, just because they are drinking contaminated water.
Some ways that you can enhance your drinking water’s quality include:
Water filtration has been around for a long time, and filtration systems have been in use since the time of the Egyptian pharaohs.
Filtration is the process of removing or reducing the impurities or contaminants in the water. Over the years, the process has improved and different technologies were made available.
Filtration can be done by using a physical barrier to separate particles from the water, or through a chemical or biological process.
Check your water filtration options:
- Consider getting a system that uses carbon filters. This is very effective in getting rid of impurities, including chemicals like herbicides and pesticides. These get trapped in the filter and won’t reach the water.
- Consider getting a system that does a multi-stage filtration. This will get rid of things like cysts and other parasites that could be hiding in the pipes. It will also get rid of anything that could potentially be carcinogenic.
The best way to ensure that your water is safe and pure is to invest in water purification filters. It’s a good idea to purchase an under-the-sink system so that you can filter the water directly from the tap. Consider installing under-the-sink filters from providers like Filtap to improve water quality.
Ultraviolet Water Purification Systems
Ultraviolet water purification systems are able to filter out anything from herbicides to antibiotics, and even radioactive materials. UV lights are similar to standard flashlights that you can use to treat and clean water.
This system works by utilizing UV-C rays to penetrate the microorganisms in water. These photons are then absorbed by the DNA of the pathogens, which changes the molecular structure of the latter to ensure that it can no longer reproduce and won’t cause infections.
Enhance Your Water Naturally
Enhance water naturally by infusing natural ingredients to get rid of water contaminants. They can enhance the taste and boost nutritional content. Take a look at the following natural ingredients you can infuse with water to improve its quality:
- Tea (black, green, herbal, oolong, or white)
Use Straw Water Filters
Straw water filters are typically used by people living in rural areas, as well as travelers. What sets apart a water filter for travel from a normal straw is its need for a stronger pulling force from the tap water.
Most of these straw filters are made of stainless steel. It’s advisable to wash off the filter after usage and then replacing it with a new filter so that you can enjoy clean water for drinking, cooking, or other domestic purposes.
Check the following benefits of using straw water filters:
- Straw filters are highly recommended for emergencies when there’s a lack of sources for clean drinking water. You can also make DIY water filters in case of an emergency to avoid dehydration in times of calamities or other natural disasters.
- With straw filters, you can get clean water from natural sources like a river or stream. They are perfect to use when hiking, camping, and other outdoor adventures.
- A portable water filter straw can easily be carried to any place. Since it is lightweight, it requires minimum space. Many manufacturers make it possible for you to choose from a variety of straws to suit your requirements.
Properly Maintain Your Septic Tank
Your septic tank can overflow without proper maintenance. Waste tends to leak into the ground, which may contaminate the water supply.
Here are some helpful tips when maintaining a septic system:
- Clear Storm Drains: You can keep your drinking water supply clean by ensuring storm drains are clear of unwanted materials, like debris.
- Hire A Plumber: If your drain is clogged, hire a plumber to get rid of the blockage without damaging the pipes and sewer lines.
Avoid Hot Water For Cooking And Drinking
Hot water dissolves sediments and chemicals attached to water pipes. These contaminants can flow with the water that you might be used for cooking and drinking, thus, tainting your water supply. As much as possible, stick to room temperature or cold water.
One way to improve water quality is to boil it. This is one of the easiest and the most effective ways to improve water quality and clean the water you use.
Bringing your water to a boil can kill and inactivate pathogens in it, such as viruses, bacteria, and protozoa.
The high temperature can damage the structural components of these harmful substances so that they no longer cause adverse health impacts to humans when ingested. This temperature requirement for pasteurizing your water is to heat it until 100 °C or 212 °F.
So, if you want to enjoy clean and safe water for drinking and for cleaning, boil the water and be free from worries.
Improving the quality of your drinking water will not only help you avoid having a weird taste on your drinks but, more importantly, the process protects your family from consuming pathogens that can make you and your loved ones vulnerable to diseases.
You can try using water filtration or purification methods, whether through manual filters or UV systems, to eliminate contaminants.
You can also power up your water by infusing it with fruits. Boiling is a straightforward approach as well.
Furthermore, make sure to maintain your septic tank properly and avoid having hot water flow through the pipes where you get your cooking and drinking water from as this may contaminate your water supply.
About The Author:
Kevin Slater is a successful blogger who often writes articles on health and wellness, self-improvement, and parenthood. Kevin is known to write informative, and witty content on his blog, and other online platforms. When not busy writing, Kevin often spends his time with his family, and pets at home.