Everyone has their insecurities when it comes to how they look. There’s at least one physical feature that they want to alter or improve. Their insecurities may stem from what society dictates is beautiful. You need to look a certain way for others to consider you as attractive.
Sadly, some people let what other people think to bother them. They give in to the pressure of having fair skin, bigger eyes, and a thinner body just to be called good-looking. Some may want to have fuller lips, while some prefer to have that perfect nose.
Regardless of whatever they want to change, these people usually go under the knife just to achieve the look that they want.
Reasons Why People Get a Nose Job
Rhinoplasty is more popularly known as a nose job. It’s also sometimes referred to as nose reshaping. It’s one of the most common procedures in the United States alongside breast augmentation and liposuction.
Through a nose job, people can achieve the facial harmony they want through surgery. It can also treat a variety of facial conditions including:
- Bulbous, enlarged, or hooked nose tip
- Large or upturned nostrils
- Humps or depressions on the nasal bridge
- Nasal asymmetry
People get rhinoplasty for a variety of reasons such as:
- Breathing problems – A deviated septum causes a person to experience trouble breathing. It’s sometimes referred to as a nostril collapse. This condition also causes a person to suffer chronic snoring. If not appropriately addressed, the condition can cause sinus problems. It’s a more severe condition caused by a deviated septum because it leads to sinus infections. Through a nose job, you can fix this problem quickly.
- Accidents – Contact sports athletes are often at risk of having something in their body broken. Since they’re always in close physical contact with other players, they’re at risk of getting their noses broken. If people are involved in a fight or a vehicular accident, they’re also at risk of sustaining injuries to their nose. Some people undergo nose job surgery because their noses are broken. This type of surgery can fix your nose easily.
- Confidence – Some people aren’t happy with the type of nose they’re born with. There are times when they feel like their nose is too big. There are those who think that their nose is too small for their face. People, especially the ones who get teased because of their nose, undergo rhinoplasty to achieve their nose size and shape that they want. As a result, they also gain a confidence boost that they need.
Pros of a Nose Job
Some of the advantages of getting a nose job are:
- Balance – The nose is one of the central points of the face. There may be instances when the nose can cause a facial imbalance. There are instances when a nose is too large or too crooked for the face. A nose job can correct this imbalance and bring harmony.
- Improved breathing – Rhinoplasty can also help improve your breathing conditions. It can fix the nasal structures to help address problems related to nasal airflow. If the nose underwent trauma due to an accident or a physical injury, this procedure could fix it. The nose is reconstructed to help with breathing conditions that will eventually lead to better sleep.
- Self-esteem – Lastly, a nose job can get the nose that is proportionate to the face. It helps improve one’s self-esteem because he or she is already confident with the results of the surgical procedure. It can cause a positive change in a person’s attitude to their look and can help them have the confidence they want.
Cons of a Nose Job
A nose job is not just about the promises of making a person more beautiful. It also involves some adverse side effects if the person undergoing surgery is not prepared or if the doctor lacks the skills to perform such a procedure. Nose jobs also have drawbacks such as:
- Discomforts – Once the surgery is done, patients may feel some discomfort around the area of the nose. There may be bruises in the eye areas, headaches, and nose swelling. Since a nose job is not just an ordinary surgical procedure, patients can feel pain and a feeling of congestion after the surgery.
- Limitations – Rhinoplasty has its limitations because surgeons can only manipulate the nose up to a certain degree. Therefore, there is no guarantee that the patient will get the celebrity nose that they aspire to have. Instead, the doctors can reconstruct the nose based on its proportion to the patient’s face.
- Recovery – After the procedure, patients need to take extra care of their nose. Doctors may prescribe painkillers and antibiotics to avoid any complications and to minimize the pain.
- Costs – Patients should also consider the cost of rhinoplasty. Most health insurance providers don’t cover this type of surgery, especially if there is no need for it. A nose job isn’t cheap; therefore, patients need to save just to pay for this procedure.
Before you undergo a nose job, you need to assess whether you’re ready for it. You need to weigh the pros and cons before undergoing the knife.
You also need to find the right surgeon for the job as many perform these surgeries without the proper medical training and the required license. Do your research and prepare yourself both physically and mentally.
About The Author:
Dr. Xavier Tenorio founded Aesthetics Clinic in 2009. Dr. Tenorio has a Swiss diploma of a specialist in Plastic, Aesthetic & Reconstructive Surgery (FMH). He is a fellow of the European Board of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, a member of the Swiss Society of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery, a fellow of Collège Français de Chirurgie Plastique Reconstructrice et Esthétique. He is also a member of the Association of Doctors of the Canton of Geneva, AMG and a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS). He regularly attends courses and conventions of his specialty to be able to offer the best treatments to his clients. He also has always taken care to bring the best technology to treat its customers safely.