Being fit and healthy is something that should be a priority for everyone. One of the best ways to do so is by working out.
Whether you are working out from your home or at the gym, having resistance bands is very important. These bands are made up of rubber or elastic and are used for strengthening your muscles.
It works great for toning and improving the strength of your arms, legs as well as the core. Many people ask whether or not the resistant band can help them to improve their horse-riding skills.
Well, these bands come in different types each with some amazing benefits and perks. They are anti-slip and lightweight in nature but can make your gluteus, hamstring, core muscles, biceps and triceps toned.
Health & fitness benefits of exercising with resistance bands
These resistance bands have a very crucial role to play in your everyday workouts and fitness regime. These bands can help you to become stronger and fitter.
Here are some of the health and fitness benefits of exercising using the resistance band:
- Helps to strengthen muscles: One of the most important reasons why people workout or exercise is to strengthen their muscles. Whether it is their core muscles or the arm muscles or the legs muscles, all of them must be strong. These bands help to build strength by exerting a particular amount of force on the targeted muscle group.
- Helps in improving mobility: Flexibility is extremely important, especially for riding horses. The resistance band can help you to improve your flexibility and make you better at mobility to a great extent. It can be also used for improving the mobility of your joints.
- Better rehabilitation: The resistance bands have proved to be quite effective as well as efficient when it comes to recovery. As much as the workout is important, muscle rehabilitation is also important. These bands are especially useful when it comes to working out your shoulder, knees, and hip.
- Helps in the full-body workout: The best part of using the right resistance band is that it can help you in a full-body workout. It can help you to perform some upper body as well as some of the best lower body exercises. Thus, you can get some all-around benefits from these bands.
- Stabilization & balance: Another great benefit of the resistance band is that it helps in stabilizing your body by focusing more on balancing. This stability and balance are very much important for different purposes.
Can resistance bands improve your horse riding?
The key to improving your horse riding is to improve your stability, strength, and flexibility. As mentioned above, resistance band exercises can help you in strengthening your muscles as well as helps to improve flexibility and stability.
For a horse rider, it is extremely important to climb up the horse and get a stable seat with the correct riding posture.
All these are possible when your upper body muscles such as shoulder muscles, triceps, and biceps are strong enough to pull you up. In fact, it is also important for your hamstring and gluteus to be strong and flexible enough to attain the position on the horse perfectly. Not to mention, the strength of the core muscles i.e. the oblique and abdominal muscles to has a huge role to play.
Though full-body strength is important, upper body strength is most important for horse riding.
If you don’t have the strength in your arms and shoulder, then it will result in a bad slouched posture. This can not only look bad but can also put your horse and you at risk for injury.
Photo Credit: Pexels
Best 3 exercises with resistance bands
Here are some of the best resistance band exercises to improve horse riding. You can perform these even from your home to improve stability and strength. As mentioned above, upper body, core, and lower body strengths are very important.
We will discuss the 3 most important exercises that you can perform with a resistance band to strengthen all these three muscle groups. These are:
1. Sitting Arm Row
This is one of the best and most effective upper body workouts that you can perform with your resistance band. You can do this even at your home. For this, you have to sit down on the yoga mat with both of your legs stretched out fully in front of you.
Now, place the band under the feet and hold the two ends of the band with the two hands. Hold the band hip-width apart. Keeping your upper arm close to the body, slowly pull the elbows backward.
Make sure to keep your upper body completely straight and slightly engage the abs squeezing your shoulder blades. Repeat this 15 times.
2. Plank Walk to Alternative Sides
This is a full-body workout that involves your arms, shoulders, lower back, and core muscles. You have to start by getting into the plank position being on your toes and hands. Make sure the hand is as wide apart as your shoulder.
Engage your core and contract your legs as well as gluteus. Keep your back straight and place the resistant band around the wrist.
Keeping your body completely straight, take two steps to your right on your hands. Then repeat the same to your left. Do this 8 times on each side.
3. Kneeling Leg lift
This is a great lower body workout that you can perform with the resistance bands. It can help you to strengthen your gluteus as well as your hamstring efficiently. For this, you have to kneel on the floor with the band wrapped around your thighs.
Now, start by lifting your right leg and extending it towards the right while the toes are pointing towards the floor. Then come back to the original position and do it again. Repeat it 10 times before shifting to the left leg. Repeat 10 times on your left leg too.
These are some of the best exercises that you can do with your resistance bands at home. This will help to increase the strength of your upper body, lower body as well as core muscles so that it can be easier for you to ride a horse. These exercises will definitely improve your horse riding skills to a great extent.
About The Author:
Kyle Anderson is a Tech and Digital Marketing journalist whose typical day is spent scouring the web for the latest developments in the world of Marketing and tech automation. He loves any type of new marketing software! For his pastimes, he is an avid lover of traveling, gadgets, and travel photography.