Many Americans who have been diagnosed with deadly stomach cancer discovered the use of heartburn medications (Proton Pump Inhibitors) could be a likely cause.
In fact, a research team, at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and Veterans Affairs St. Louis Health Care System, found a strong connection between the persistent use of drugs such as PPIs and the risk of upper gastrointestinal cancer.
Nowadays, there are a lot many proton pump inhibitors in use such as Nexium, Prevacid, Zantac, Prilosec. Such drugs treat heartburn indigestion and acid reflux and can be bought both over the counter (OTC) and by prescription.
With the rise of heartburn patients, a growing number of heartburn medicine lawsuits claim that PPIs like Nexium and Zantac can lead to chronic kidney failure and stomach cancer as well.
If you are someone currently in the nascent stage of heartburn, it might be a good idea to educate yourself on what this problem is and how it can be treated right.
Heartburn – What is it?
Heartburn nowadays is a common health concern created by acid reflux. A condition where most of the stomach contents are forced back up into the esophagus.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is the result of continuous acid reflux that occurs twice a week or more.
As per the American College of Gastroenterology, around 15 million Americans experience heartburn almost every day.
Heartburn is a symptom of GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) which is a common clinical problem. It is actually the result of acid refluxing back into the esophagus. Some risk factors that increase acid production in the body are here as under:
- Some of the delicious foods that we eat and drink and over the counter medications may also expedite heartburn. For example caffeine, alcohol, beverages, acidic juices, chocolates.
- Smoking, as well as intake of high-fat content foods, affect the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) function.
- Obesity also increases pressure in the abdomen.
- Pregnancy can also cause increased pressure within the abdominal cavity and affect LED function.
The most common symptom is a warm feeling that you undergo almost every day. Stomach acid propels burning pain in the chest as well as throat. Many other symptoms consist of:
- Burning pain in the chest
- Pain reaching to the jaw
- Indigestion and burning
- Bitter mouth taste
Very often, such symptoms get worse after eating a large meal, leaning forward or lying flat. Those affected may awake from sleep with heartburn.
|Read also: Beyond Hunger: What Many People Often Get Wrong About Binge-Eating Disorder|
Whatever the causes and symptoms, heartburn is inconvenient and uncomfortable. So, what could be the right solution when heartburn strikes? Let’s discuss in detail:
- Tight clothes may compress your stomach while suffering from heartburn. So, try to loosen your jeans belt or dress.
- Lying down can make the heartburn worse. Adjust your sleeping surface to raise your upper body from the waist.
- Take a teaspoon of baking soda and mix it in a glass of water and drink the water slowly especially when you are having heartburn.
- Did you know smoking contributes to heartburn? Stop smoking as it is already bad for your health and it won’t make that burning feel go away.
- Chewing gum after a meal helps reduce heartburn. It stimulates saliva and this may just clear stomach acid from your esophagus.
- Ginger has been used as an active remedy for heartburn for many centuries now. Add ginger to your favorite soups, stir-fry recipes, and other foods.
- Your body posture can affect your chances of heartburn. Try to stand up more straightly if you are sitting.
- Drinking diluted apple cider vinegar after a meal helps prevent heartburn as it is believed to neutralize stomach acid.
Lifestyle changes, home remedies, and over-the-counter treatments provide long-term relief from heartburn. Adjusting your daily habits can also prevent heartburn symptoms to occur in the first place.
For instance, try to:
- Eat food 3-4 hours before going to bed
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid fatty and spicy foods
If you experience heartburn, speak to your doctor first, consider it as a first resort. Do not hop over PPI medicines, those may give you stomach cancer and kidney failure too.
Speaking of which, if you or a loved one used any of PPI medicine for heartburn and consequently diagnosed with stomach cancer, the American law protects patients from dangerous drugs.
Yes, you heard it right! You can easily file a heartburn medicine lawsuit on the grounds that drug manufacturers have failed to warn you of known risks or whatever the case may be after consulting a lawyer.
About The Author:
Justin Hagerty is a passionate writer with an inherent knack to give insightful information on many commonly used women’s beauty and hygiene products worldwide. With years of experience in this industry, he continues to write and curate highly-informative articles to spread awareness and reinstate high standards of women’s health and well being. Keep checking the space for the next piece!