If you’ve ever found yourself curious as to just what sort of alternative remedies exist to help you become healthier, then you’ve likely heard of cannabidiol. This substance, popularly abbreviated as CBD, is normally associated with marijuana or the cannabis plant, as it’s one of its many compounds. However, unlike marijuana’s controversial nature, CBD does appear to have its own fair share of benefits for those willing to give it a shot. Of course, this doesn’t exempt cannabidiol from having some sort of risk you have to consider before purchasing or consuming it as well. Just what is the real score with CBD? Should you get it for yourself? What are its pros and cons?
It may perhaps be a good idea to first learn about just what CBD is before getting into its pros and cons. CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of 104 compounds known as cannabinoids found in the marijuana plant, Cannabis sativa. Of the 104, aside from CBD, tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is the other popular compound in the plant. Unlike CBD, it’s THC that’s the primary psychoactive component that produces the “high” when consuming marijuana. Because CBD isn’t psychoactive, it’s become quite a popular hot topic in the realm of medicine – especially when it comes to exploring its potential benefits.
CBD Oil: What Exactly Is In It For You?
Before you buy CBD oil from an online website, it’s important for you to remember that CBD hasn’t exactly been fully tested for all its touted benefits. As such you should always remember to keep a close eye on the kinds of benefits you want to use this for and make sure that you’re aware that there may be surprising side effects you may not expect. It’s important to be aware of its potential pros and cons for you. Here are some of them:
Pros: Get Benefits Without The High Of Marijuana
Perhaps one of the most attractive qualities of CBD isn’t just its supposed effects, but the fact that it has effects that are unlike that found when consuming the entire marijuana plant. As CBD isn’t psychoactive upon consumption, it means that there’s no risk of being addicted or dependent on the substance, which can already be a plus to a lot of people looking for alternative modes of treatment. In addition, CBD also:
- Relieves pain symptoms: One of the biggest advantages of taking in CBD oil is its ability to combat the symptoms of pain. Things such as migraines and arthritis can be aided by CBD, as it can help ease tension in muscles and therefore pave way for relaxation.
- Relieves symptoms of inflammation: Another benefit of CBD oil is its ability to help treat symptoms of conditions such as arthritis and scleroderma, especially with its capacity to cause inflammation in the joints and other parts of the body. Sadly, inflammatory conditions do cause parts of the body to attack itself, which can result in stiff joints, tissue damage, and chronic pain. This is also another symptom of autoimmune diseases, which can ruin someone’s ability to do daily tasks. CBD can ease pressure in these parts of the body and alleviate pain.
- Ease symptoms of anxiety: Another benefit CBD has is its ability to treat anxiety, which affects a huge portion of the population. CBD consumers help to become more relaxed, comfortable, and less stressed thanks to CBD’s impact on the brain and hormones. CBD can help regulate the release of certain hormones in the body, preventing imbalances that cause these negative symptoms to appear.
Cons: Not Thoroughly Tested And May Come With A Risk
While it may be easy to purchase CBD oil from a website, it’s important to understand that CBD oil hasn’t exactly been thoroughly tested. As such there are still risks involved in its usage, which you should always keep yourself aware of while reviewing your potential purchase.
- Legislation about CBD and marijuana are still tricky worldwide: Even if you believe in the benefits of CBD, and even if it’s really not psychoactive, getting access to CBD can be tricky depending on where you live. In the United States, for instance, where a lot of states approve of marijuana use, certain limits are still imposed as to just how “approved” cannabis products are. The same goes for a lot of places around the world as well. It’s helpful you check with your country or area’s policies first before getting CBD.
- Health risks are still on the line: Before you take CBD, it’s best you consult your doctor because of its potential side effects. This is also important if you have a condition that requires you to be careful with what you consume, as the lack of studies on CBD may mean side effects you won’t expect.
The Takeaway: The First Step To Better Health Is Knowing
With the above kept in mind, it’s important to remember that you shouldn’t always jump right into alternative methods of treatment – especially if you know they might potentially cause risk for you. With the pros and cons of cannabidiol weighed in this article, you at least have some idea of what to expect and what to anticipate when encountering this kind of product and what can it potentially do to your health. Before you go off buying this, though, do be sure to consult with your doctor first just so you’re fully aware of what you should expect, especially if you have a condition that may require you to be careful with what you take into your body. (See also: Can CBD Oil Really Help With Your Overall Health?)
About The Author:
Karen Kurtz has always held a fascination for alternative remedies, and this interest has expanded to her exploring various aspects of the medical field as a writer. As a contributor for sites such as CBD Oil Reviews, Karen has made an effort to make sure her pieces clarify and demystify the impressions people have on various medicinal and alternative medicine facts and mysteries.