If you’ve been following prominent figures in social media like your favorite celebrities, for example, you’d know that the Ketosis Diet (or commonly known as the Keto diet), has slowly become one of their preferred diet fads today. This kind of diet requires eating high-fat, adequate-protein, and low-carb foods. With this combination, it forces the body into a fat-burning state which means that instead of burning carbohydrates, it burns fats and converts it to energy. The Keto diet breaks down macronutrients found in different kinds of food and then change how the body uses energy. Many people have preferred this diet because unlike other types of diet, the Keto diet can improve a person’s mental focus, control blood sugar levels, prevents acne, and increases energy while normalizing hunger pangs. And while the Keto diet might sound like the be-all end-all for all health buffs out there, it isn’t. There are side effects affiliated with the Keto diet.
Once you decide to use the Keto diet, the changes that you’ll be doing might shock your body. As a result, you can experience Keto flu especially during the first days of your Keto diet. Most often than not, Keto flu isn’t a cause for concern. People who are trying the Keto diet for the first time experiences this. If you suspect you have Keto flu, watch out for the following symptoms:
- Difficulty in focusing and accomplishing tasks
- Extreme sugar cravings
- Irritability without any reason
- Lack of motivation
- Muscle cramps
- Nausea and vomiting
- Recurring headaches
Keto Flu: The Cause
If you’re ready to use the Keto diet, you should be able to take the good with the bad – you should know the Keto flu symptoms and side effects. Before you can experience the wonders this diet can bring to your health, you should go through the challenges along the way – and the Keto flu is one of those challenges. In a nutshell, Keto flu is caused by the abrupt changes in your body once you transition to the Keto diet. You’ll basically have to make drastic changes in your food choices and lifestyle in order to maximize the effects of this diet.
- The Keto diet will require you to have a very-low-carb diet – something which your body can’t immediately cope with especially if you’re fond of taking a significant amount of carbs. Having a very-low-carb diet lowers the insulin levels of your body which is the primary goal of the Keto diet.
- Once your insulin levels are low, your liver starts to convert fat into ketones. These ketones will be used by the cells in your body as a replacement for glucose. When your body uses ketones and fat for energy, you’re already in the state of ketosis.
- These kind of changes are new to your body. It’ll take some time before your brain, and other organs can fully adapt and adjust to these changes.
- When the insulin levels in your body are extremely low, your body excretes more sodium and water in the urine. This is one way for your body to respond to the changes. This will result in frequent urination especially when you’re on the first week of your Keto diet.
- Because of all of these changes, you can experience weight loss even during the early stages of the Keto diet. However, because you’re losing a lot of water and sodium during the process, you’ll experience unpleasant symptoms like Keto flu.
- Keep in mind that your body might respond to the transition differently from others. Some people feel fine or tired once they start using the Keto diet while others develop extreme symptoms which can disrupt their daily functions and can last for several days.
- The Keto flu can be a discomfort, but it shouldn’t hinder you to continually do your daily activities and routines. The Keto flu, once the Keto diet is appropriately taken, should be bearable.
- Commonly, symptoms of the Keto flu will disappear on its own since your body gradually adapts to the changes required in the Keto diet. But if you want to address Keto flu the moment you feel its symptoms, a ketosis flu remedy includes increasing your salt and water intake. You can add half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water and drink this as frequently as needed.
Preparation Is Key
There’s nothing really wrong in trying out diet fads. If you think this will be your stepping stone towards a healthier lifestyle change, go ahead and do it. If you’re leaning towards adopting the Keto diet as your own, you should be aware of what to expect. Do your research and ask around from people who have been following this diet. This information will prepare you throughout the entire process and make the transition as comfortable as possible. Similarly, when you know what will happen during your Keto diet, you know when to seek medical treatment. Remember that your Keto diet shouldn’t do more harm than good to your body; it should enhance your health and wellness in the long run.
About The Author:
Hi, my name is Ales and I am the owner and content writer on BlogGuru.Net. My passion is health, fitness and personal growth and as a result, I like to share my findings of things I have discovered for myself. Everything I write about comes from personal experience. I believe that we can achieve so much more if we truly work on it.